Aurora Police Crime Scene Detectives at the scene of today's hostage crisis

AURORA, Colo. – Four people, including an armed suspect, died after an hours-long police standoff Saturday at an Aurora, Colorado townhome, authorities said.

The tragedy occurs less than six months after a mass shooting at a midnight showing of “The Dark Knight Rises” in the same town left 12 people dead.

An Aurora police department SWAT team responded after shots were heard at the home at about 3 a.m., Aurora police Sgt. Cassidee Carlson said. Investigators said two men and a woman appeared to have been killed before officers arrived.

The suspect shot at police who approached the front of the home with an armored vehicle and tear gas at about 8:15 a.m., and he was killed when he fired at officers from a second-story window about 45 minutes later, Carlson said. It wasn’t known if officers shot the suspect or if he shot himself.

A fifth person escaped unharmed and called police to report that she saw three people inside the home who “appeared lifeless,” said Carlson, who declined to elaborate about the woman’s escape.

Aurora Police Crime Scene Detectives at the scene of today’s hostage crisis

A motive for the killings was unknown. Police wearing gloves and carrying evidence bags were going over the crime scene.

“We’re just getting in there with our crime scene detectives, so obviously we’ll have to determine if it was our rounds or his rounds,” Carlson said.

Police declined to release the name of the suspect or victims.

“We have an idea of who they are, but we obviously want to confirm their identities with the coroner,” said Carlson, who declined to release the relationship between the victims and the shooter.

Officers evacuated neighbors’ homes during the standoff and used a bullhorn to communicate with the gunman, urging him to surrender.

“After we arrived on scene, there were no more shots fired up until he fired at us,” Carlson said. “During this time he was all over the house. He moved furniture. He was throwing things. He was agitated. He was irrational.”

A large front window was missing in the modest two-story townhome, the window’s mini-blinds in disarray. Bullet holes marked two upstairs windows, and neighbors milled about outside.

“They kept telling them to ‘please come out the front door, nobody will hurt you. If you come out now nobody will hurt you — you’ll be safe. Let us get in to the hostages,’” Jen Miller, 65, who lives a half-block away, told The Post.

Later, the SWAT team came to break in, she said.

“The SWAT team drove their truck up and broke the window, and I heard some gunshots when that happened,” said Miller.

“They threw some tear gas in there, and I heard a few more gun shots. And then it was pretty quiet. The policemen were all standing in their same places. All of a sudden they started backing ambulances in. They didn’t bring anybody out and the ambulances left. We figured it didn’t have a good ending.”

The shootings occurred about four miles southeast of the Aurora Mall, where 12 people were killed and dozens were wounded by a gunman at a midnight showing of “The Dark Knight Rises” on July 20. The man charged in that shooting, James Holmes, goes to court Monday for a preliminary hearing in which prosecutors will lay out their case against him.

Aurora, just east of Denver, is one of Colorado’s largest and most diverse cities with more than 335,000 residents. It is home to Buckley Air Force Base as well as the sprawling University of Colorado Health Sciences Center campus.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here