Nature’s nutritional powerhouse is now vacuum-packed and ready to sweeten any occasion. Kosher for Passover and all year long, Gefen’s organic beets are cooked, peeled, and ready to eat. Their vacuum-packed freshness makes them ideal for everything from salads and sides to smoothies and even snacking. Once you taste this versatile superfood, you’ll wonder how you ever lived without it.
Beets are a hot food trend, and many experts are singing their praises. Acclaimed food writer and celebrity chef Jamie Geller of Joy of Kosher highlights the convenience of Gefen’s pre-cooked beets in a Passover chopped-salad recipe that pays tribute to Russ and Daughters, the famed appetizing store of the Lower East Side.
Gefen’s pre-peeled, vacuum-packed beets are carefully packaged directly from the harvest, just as nature grew them–with no preservatives, additives, artificial colors, or flavors. They are also non-soy, non-dairy, and certified kosher (OU-P). In other words, they’re perfect for everyone, at any time. Beets are a great source of vitamin C, iron, fiber, and many essential minerals. They’re also low in calories, saturated fat, and cholesterol.
Gefen’s beets are 100% non-GMO, USDA Certified Organic, and Certified Fair Trade. Look for them in 17.6-oz. packages in the produce aisle at supermarkets, health food stores, and kosher food markets throughout the USA.
Gefen products are distributed by New Jersey-based Kayco, one of the largest manufacturers and distributors of kosher and kosher-for-Passover food products.
For additional information about all Kayco products, visit www.kayco.com.
Chopped Salad Ã€ La
Russ And Daughters
By Jamie Geller
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
Serves 8 for appetizer and 4 for main dish
The ingredients of this famous salad are well chosen and simple. The best tip for making this salad is to chop everything together except the beets. The ingredients flavor each other, and the end result is a textured, smoky, creamy mishmash.
Save time with cooked beets, such as Gefen beets.
- 1 lb. smoked whitefish, broken into big chunks
- 3 hardboiled eggs, peeled and cut into gorgeous wedges
- 2 ripe but firm avocados, pitted, peeled, and sliced
- 1 large Honeycrisp or other firm and sparkly flavored apple, cored and sliced
- 6 cups mixed sturdy greens, such as arugula, kale, or romaine
- 2 medium red beets, roasted, peeled, and diced (or use Gefen beets)
- 2 sheets matzah, broken into pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 heaping tablespoons sour cream
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp. white or apple-cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. prepared horseradish
- 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- Â½ tsp. kosher salt
- pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Pile whitefish, eggs, avocados, apple, greens, and matzah on a large cutting board and chop them all together. (Yes, you should have bought the large cutting board!) This way the flavors meld.
- Shake buttermilk, sour cream, scallions, garlic, vinegar, horseradish, mayonnaise, salt, and pepper in a jar.
- Store leftover dressing in refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- This salad looks best on a platter so you can see all the colors. Skip the bowl! Pile diced beets on the bottom of the platter. Put all chopped salad on top of beets.
- Drizzle buttermilk dressing and scatter pieces of matzah on top of salad.
- Pass extra dressing when serving.
Preheat oven to 375Â°F. Drizzle unpeeled beets with extra-virgin olive oil and wrap in foil. Roast for about 45—50 minutes until a paring knife can easily pierce without resistance.