Dear Community Members,
ã€€ã€€ã€€ã€€We the Korman family from Far Rockaway would like to share our personal Chanukah MIRACLE with you. Some of you may know who we are, and some may not, but our identity is not important because this story could be about you. All day Friday, my wife and I walked around complaining of headaches and feeling quite tired. We made no big deal of it, as we are blessed with a 3 month old who likes to keep us up at night. Friday night we thought to ourselves, wow our little munchkin must be growing, as she was waking up more than usual making sure we didn’t sleep much. At about 6AM, during our infant feeding hour, our 5 year old daughter let out a wild scream. We ran into her room to see what was wrong. As we approached her, she looked at us with crazed eyes and screamed again and then her body went limp. We took her to the bathroom where she began to retch and after vomiting she was slowly able to stand and move her body. She then complained of a headache, so naturally like any Jewish parent, we gave her a wet shamata for her head and took her temperature. As we were about to call Hatzalah, our very calm and loving 8 year old son screamed on the top of his lungs “I CANT TAKE THE CRYING!” (Referring of course to our baby which we left to fend for herself and she was letting us know that she was not happy about it.) We ran to his room and found him drenched in sweat, unable to stand, and retching. Naturally we ran him to the bathroom. Our 5 year old wanted to see what was happening so she got off the couch and as soon as she got into the bathroom vomited again, passed out and once again was unable to move her body. We called Hatzalah, who we are so grateful to, and within minutes they were in our house measuring the oxygen saturation of our children. Suddenly, the paramedic yelled “everyone out of the house and into the ambulance now!….we had carbon monoxide poisoning!
ã€€ã€€ã€€ã€€Carbon monoxide is a deadly, colorless, odorless and tasteless poisonous gas which many people never survive to talk about. We did not have functional carbon monoxide detectors at the time, Hashem was truly watching over our family. When someone goes through such a situation you are left with the feeling of what do I do with this? Where do I channel it? We have decided to take it upon ourselves to share our story and educate the public to ensure that this will never happen to you.
ã€€ã€€ã€€ã€€We therefore ask you to check to make sure you have working non expired carbon monoxide detectors with backup batteries. Call your alarm company to make sure you are covered for carbon monoxide and of course pass this lesson along to family and friends. As we lit the candles Motzei Shabbos we had tears in our eyes and thankfulness in our hearts, as we were truly celebrating and understanding the meaning of a “Nais Gadol.”
ã€€ã€€ã€€ã€€May we only know and share in many simchas.
Dear Community Members,