On Sunday June 30, Chaverim of the Five Towns and Far Rockaway held its annual Breakfast Parlor Event. The reception was graciously hosted by David and Penina Klein of Cedarhurst and catered by Gotta Getta Bagel of Woodmere.
Binyamin Lipsky, longtime dedicated coordinator, spoke to the packed crowd about Chaverim, and explained how the organization assists thousands of stranded motorists each year. Chaverim has had exponential growth over the past 10 years and now has over 80 active members and 30 dedicated dispatchers to handle the calls. A record 3,500+ calls were handled last year, with the majority of the responses within minutes. With this growth, the need has come to expand equipment, services, and telecommunications. It is time for our community to move into the 21st century with a Chaverim App that will benefit the community and the responders.
In addition to the car-related calls Chaverim covers, it also sponsors a defensive-driving class in conjunction with the Marion & Aaron Gural JCC. These classes are held 4–5 times per year and have been helping our community save on car insurance. To date, over 750 people have been helped by these courses. The next course will be August 5.
An exciting and entertaining video of Chaverim in action was presented at the parlor meeting. To see the video please visit Facebook.com/chaverim.fivetowns.3/.
HaRav Yaakov Feitman, shlita, mara d’asra of Kehillas Bais Yehuda Tzvi in Cedarhurst, captivated the audience in his eloquent manner and spoke about Chaverim and how important their work is.
Rabbi Feitman offered five examples of why Chaverim is so important:
- The members make a kiddush Hashem wherever they go. Gentiles mumble the English equivalent of “mi keamcha Yisrael” as “I wish we had something like this.”
- Rav Chaim Kanievsky, shlita, says that acts of chesed which bring random Jews closer together will bring the geulah.
- Chaverim elevate the seemingly lowest acts of gashmiyus — physical work — into true ruchniyus — spiritually great events. Changing a tire suddenly becomes chesed and bringing Mashiach.
- Just as they give batteries a boost, they give us all a boost as well.
- Not one member of Chaverim makes a penny. It is all done l’shem Shamayim—for the sake of heaven. All they need is some equipment so they can do their holy work properly. Let’s help them help us.
Chaverim thanks sponsors Allied Fire Control Services, Cross River Bank, DMJStudios, Executive Dry Cleaners, FTADs, Gotta Getta Bagel, Gourmet Glatt, HotelRooms.com, Luxury Connections, Miller Realty, & Beyond, Plaza Auto Leasing, Scientific Fire Prevention, Tech613, the Five Towns Jewish Times, the Jewish Home, Westwood Realty, Yale Brokerage, and 5townscentral.org. Please patronize these generous sponsors.
Chaverim thanks Moshe Goldfeder and Pinchas Lipsky for their dedication to Chaverim by going above and beyond with their wonderful help. If you didn’t donate yet, feel free to visit chaverim5t.org/chaverim-breakfast-2019/. We wish everyone a safe summer.
To reach the Chaverim Emergency Help Line, call 718-337-1800 or WhatsApp 718-337-1800 and sign up for the status by adding the contact information. Twitter direct message “@Chaverim5t” with your name, location, problem, and phone number, and a dispatcher will get back to you ASAP. To reach the Chaverim Info-Line, call 516-331-1460 or write to P.O. Box 701, Lawrence, NY 11559.