Not only did a Bangladeshi man plan to kill Americans, officials said, he wreaked havoc back at home – breaking the heart and bank account of his devastated family.

Loved ones of Quazi Mohammad Rezwanul Ahsan Nafis, 21, can’t fathom how he allegedly tried to detonate a fake 1,000-pound car bomb outside the fed in lower Manhattan.

“My son can’t do it,” said dad Quazi Ahsanullah, weeping outside his home in the Jatrabari neighborhood in north Dhaka.

Quazi Ahsanullah, a banker, insisted he never saw a budding terrorist in his boy.

“He is very gentle and devoted to his studies,” said the heartbroken dad, citing his kid’s work at the private North South University in Dhaka.

Bangladeshi Quazi Ahsanullah displays a photograph of his son Quazi Mohammad Rezwanul Ahsan Nafis as he weeps in his home in north Dhaka Thursday.

But North South University spokesman Belal Ahmed said Nafis was a dunce who was put on academic probation and threatened with expulsion if he didn’t hit the books harder.

The failing student eventually stopped coming to school, according to Ahmed.

Nafis’ academic failures in Bangladesh nearly led to bloodshed in America, authorities said.

The suspect talked his dad into financing his school work in the United States, telling family it’d be worth the money.

“I spent all my savings to send him to America,” Ahsanullah said.

The devastated dad bankrolled Nafis to attend Southeast Missouri State University, where the suspect enrolled earlier this year.

He was there from January to May, pursuing a bachelor’s degree in cybersecurity, before leaving the school and requesting his records be transferred.

Nafis ended up in Queens, where he went on a mission to “destroy America,” according to a criminal complaint.

He was nabbed yesterday, allegedly trying to blow up the Federal Reserve Bank with what he thought was a 1,000-pound van bomb.

Nafis thought he had set up a cellphone detonator from a nearby hotel room, authorities said.

But the suspect didn’t know that his collaborators were actually undercover agents who were tracking his every move, according to a criminal complaint.

“The great danger is that we’re going to forget the lesson that should have been taught to us back on 9/11, 2001,” Mayor Bloomberg said in Long Island City today, cutting the red ribbon on a new 3-D printing and manufacturing plant.

“Freedom is fragile and we’ve got to work very hard to make sure we keep ourselves safe and that we don’t’ let our guard down.”

“It’s easy to talk about `should have, `would have’ and `could have,’ but the world is a dangerous place,” the mayor added, “and we’re going to have to keep fighting to enjoy the freedoms some people around the world find so threatening.”

Nafis was allegedly bent on killing as many Americans as possible.

“I don’t want something that’s like small. I just want something big,” Nafis, 21, told an undercover agent during a recorded August meeting in Central Park.

Grandmother, left, and aunt of Quazi Mohammad Rezwanul Ahsan Nafis cry as they claim his innocence.

“Something very big. Very very very very big, that will shake the whole country . . . that will make us one step closer to run the whole world. I want to do something that brothers coming after us can be inspired by us.”

The al Qaeda-obsessed terrorist also recorded a video addressed to Americans right before he tried to detonate the bomb.

“We will not stop until we attain victory or martyrdom,” he said in the video, in which he covered his face, wore sunglasses and disguised his voice.

Had the bomb been real, the outcome would have been catastrophic.

It “could have done significant damage to the building, possibly taking it down,” said a law-enforcement source.

“It could have killed hundreds of people who were walking by it – and it would have travelled for blocks, taking out windows. Who knows how many people could have been injured from that.”

Looking meek and overwhelmed, Nafis was arraigned yesterday afternoon on charges of attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction and attempting to provide material support to al-Qaeda in Brooklyn federal court.

He was dressed in jeans with the cuffs rolled up, a brown T-shirt and athletic shoes. He sported a trimmed beard.

Nafis, who was held without bail, faces life in prison. He is being held at the Metropolitan Detention Center in Brooklyn.

His attorney, Heidi Cesare, declined to comment.

Source: The NY Post


  1. I particularly like the pictures of the grandparents as they cry and claim his innocence. That is exactly what is done every time an Arab is arrested in Israel. They first show an emotional picture of some grandmother and the entire media feels so bad for them and that’s how the Muslim publicity takes off.

    There is no if’s and’s or but’s on this particular case as he drove the van, called the cell number and planned this for months and yet they claim his innocence. This is just how they are used to do business and it is a perfect opportunity for the world to see their mindsets and twisted behavior.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here