With the fast coming up this weekend, here’s my fasting guide to help you stay on track.
Before The Fast
Eat regularly throughout the day
- Drink extra water throughout the day
- Avoid salty foods such as sauerkraut, pickles, soy sauce, eggplant, and spices in your food
- You may have one extra serving of protein at dinner and one extra fruit. Good fruits to eat before a fast include watermelon, grapes and pineapple.
After The Fast
- Drink two cups of water
This is your budget, preferably in this order but you may also switch the order if you wish:
- One complete approved meal
- Up to three fruits
- 1 snack
- 1 treat, if needed
Remember: you cannot make up all the calories of one day in a short time span. Have an easy fast!
- 6 garlic cloves
- 3–5 jalapeno peppers
- 2–3 carrots cut into strips
- Sweet paprika
- ½ Tbsp. of turmeric
- ½ Tbsp. of salt
- Half bunch of cilantro
Sauté the vegetables in a pan. When the vegetables are half cooked, add the fish and cover halfway with water. Add lots of paprika (should be a dark red color). Add turmeric and add salt to taste. Cook on medium, covered for about half an hour until fish is ready. While the fish is cooking, add fresh chopped cilantro.
Count as protein; weigh it according to the amount allowed on plan.
Alice Harrosh is a nutrition counselor and manager at Nutrition by Tanya with 11 locations, including one in Five Towns right near Elderd Lane. For more information on Nutrition by Tanya or the TAP (Tanya-approved products) food line, please visit nutritionbytanya.com or call 844-Tanya-Diet. For daily tips and inspiration, you may follow @nutritionbytanya on Instagram.