As I peer out the window of my home office, beginning to type this article on my iPad, it is dark. True, it is only 5 a.m., but by now the first rays of daylight should be penetrating the windows of my library. But it is dark.

A massive tree (70 to 100 years old, I have been told) — complete with trunk, branches, and leaves — was uprooted from my front lawn yesterday and is now perched against my home.

The windows are blocked, as is the front door. The tree that was so huge that it created a canopy of shade with the tree across the street stands no more. The winds were so powerful and the tree so large that when the tree was felled by the storm, it uprooted my lawn as well. As one can see in the accompanying picture, it looks like someone simply peeled back a carpet. Damage to the roof, if any, cannot be assessed until the limbs, which are resting on the roof, are removed. I spent the better part of last night trying to contact tree removal services. Quite expensive, but there is no choice.

My son in-law was able to exit the house to borrow a chainsaw from a neighbor and clear just enough of a pathway so that, in single file, we can exit and reenter the house.

It is only through the grace of the One Above that no one was injured. One need only to see the size of this tree to appreciate what I am saying.

So all’s well that ends well.

In this corona era, there is a lot of “all’s well that ends well.” My daughter and son-in-law have been “trapped” here with us since March. They were living in Israel and could not return. Things changed a bit and they will be returning to Israel this coming Sunday. It is bittersweet for me, as we love them so much, and having them around these last few months was such a gift amongst the world chaos. But they will be returning to live their dream of living and learning in our ancestral homeland. All’s well that ends well.

Today is the 15th day of Av. It is noted to be a special day of joy for a variety of reasons, which would take an entire article in and of itself. Suffice it to say that, traditionally, it has been a day where matchmaking enjoys success.

The process did not start out well for a good friend of my son-in-law. The young man met his date at her home about three months ago for their first date. It was not only his first date with this young woman; it was his first date ever. He was too nervous to meet her parents up close and personal, as is the common practice, so he waved to them from the curb. The young lady entered his car, and in his heightened state of anxiety, instead of putting the car into drive, he shifted to reverse.

The damage to his car and the neighbor’s car behind his car was not as bad as what my front yard looks like now, but it was significant.

He offered the young lady the opportunity to return to her home and cancel the rest of the date. To her credit, she said she was fine and assured the young man that they should continue.

As they pulled into a parking spot near a local Starbucks, our Romeo parked and actually remembered to turn the engine off. He had planned to exit on his side of the vehicle, walk around to the young lady’s side, and open the door for her.

Opening his car door, he struck an 80-year-old man who happened to be riding his bicycle at that inopportune moment.

The young man and his date quickly rushed to the man and rendered the minimal first aid that they could. The damage was not as severe as what my front lawn looks like now, but it was significant. Once again, the young man offered the young woman the opportunity to end the date and return to her home. Things did not seem to be going well.

The young lady assured this now visibly shaken fellow that all was OK and that she was fine continuing their odyssey.

An hour and a half later they exited Starbucks, and his car was nowhere in sight. He simply forgot where he had parked. They spent close to an hour looking for the car before giving up. At that point he called an Uber, escorted her home, and went back in that same Uber to locate his car.

He returned home, wondering if he would get a date with anyone in the future. The prospect of a second date with this young lady in particular was not even a consideration in his mind.

They became engaged last night. All’s well that ends well.

Even when massive trees seem to block our path and obscure our light, if you search hard enough you can find small rays of sunshine to brighten your experience. All’s well that ends well. 

David Seidemann is a partner with the law firm of Seidemann and Mermelstein and serves as a professor of business law at Touro College. He can be reached at 718-692-1013 or


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here