For many Jewish families, fall brings back memories of irresistible aromas emanating from Grandma’s kitchen and delicious, soul-warming feasts to welcome Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year. Every family had at least one cherished “it wouldn’t be the holidays without” dish. Now it’s your turn to keep the memories alive.
But with the rise of foodie culture, people’s palates are more adventurous than ever. And our generation is way more health-minded than they were back in the day. What if you changed things up a bit?
Pereg understands that today’s cook wants to respect old traditions while sparking new ones. A world of all-natural products — from gluten-free flour and pasta swaps to exciting spice blends and ancient grains — makes it all possible.
- Love Grandma’s stuffed peppers but prefer something less heavy? Lighten it up with Pereg’s Freekeh with Vegetables Mix for a healthy-carb, meat-free appetizer.
- Give meatballs an international spin with Thai Sweet Chili Panko bread crumbs.
- Make roasted veggies sing with a sprinkle of Everything But the Bagel spice mix.
As the first name in grains and spices for over a century, Pereg has inspired cooks for generations. So whether you give favorite dishes a makeover or adhere faithfully to old family recipes, let Pereg inspire timeless memories all year long.
Stuffed Mini Peppers
Radio host and food and lifestyle writer Cindy Grosz (@cindyscorners) shares this tip for a quick, healthy appetizer. Try it with cucumbers, zucchini, or any firm vegetable. (Visit @cindyscorners for New Year product give-away promotion.)
- 1 package of your favorite Pereg grain mix (Freekeh with Vegetables, Quinoa with Spinach, Couscous with Cranberries, Basmati Rice Lemon & Herbs, etc.)
- Add-ins of your choice (chopped apples, dried fruits, sautéed leeks, mini cubes of grilled butternut squash)
- Mini peppers
- Pereg Natural Mint or Dill seasoning
- Prepare the grain mixture according to package directions. Stir in add-in(s) of your choice.
- Slice off the top of each mini pepper, scoop out the seeds, and fill with your stuffing. Garnish with mint or dill to taste.
Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Seasoned breadcrumbs add zest to this versatile dish from The Set Table. It works as a hearty entrée or served with toothpicks as an elegant hors d’oeuvres.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup Pereg Thai Sweet Chili Panko bread crumbs
- 1 diced onion
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups water
- ¼ cup distilled vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- In a medium bowl, combine the ground beef, egg, panko, and onion. Mix thoroughly and shape into golf ball-sized balls (or smaller if serving as hors d’oeuvres). Gently brown the meatballs in a large skillet over medium heat. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine brown sugar, flour, water, white vinegar, and soy sauce. Mix thoroughly. Add meatballs and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, for 30 minutes.
About Pereg Natural Foods
Pereg was established in 1906, and is based in Clifton, NJ. It first became known for its vast variety of pure and natural spices and spice blends, more than 60 in all, from traditional favorites to exotics from around the culinary world.
Today Pereg produces an array of all-natural products that includes ancient grains and ancient grain blends, gluten-free pasta, couscous, rice, gluten-free cereal, and much more. Pereg Natural Foods products are available at select retailers throughout the U.S. and Canada, and at pereg-gourmet.com.
Pereg manufactures all its products from start to finish, controlling the quality from the sourcing until the product is packed and ready for the consumer. All Pereg products are kosher certified by both the Orthodox Union (OU) and CRC, are dairy and lactose-free as well as all natural, with no additives or preservatives. Many products are also certified gluten-free and non-GMO. Follow Pereg Natural Foods on Facebook at Facebook.com/peregnatural, Twitter @pereggourmet, and Instagram @peregnatural.