Think Rosh Hashanah has to include gluten and fat? Pereg says no way! With a wide variety of gluten free grains and flours as well as a complement of spices and spice blends, Pereg can help today’s cooks update their recipes to conform to our new, health-minded culture.
One Bowl Apple Cake
A gluten-free spin on a Rosh Hashanah classic, courtesy of The Set Table.
- 2 eggs
- 1¾ cup sugar
- 2 heaping teaspoons Pereg cinnamon
- ½ cup oil
- 6 medium Gala or Honeycrisp apples
- 2 cups Pereg Gluten-Free Banana Flour (substitute all-purpose flour for non gluten-free recipe)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, mix the eggs, sugar, cinnamon, and oil.
- Peel and slice the apples and add to mixture to the bowl, coating as you go to keep the apples from turning brown.
- Mix together the baking soda and banana flour and stir into the ingredients in the bowl. Mix well with a fork until all of the flour is absorbed by the wet ingredients.
- Pour mixture into a greased 9× 13-inch or two 9-inch round pans. Bake at 350°F for 55 minutes.
Apricot Truffle Tart (Gluten Free)
Exotic teff flour stars in this decadent ending to a festive meal, courtesy of Broken Teepee (https://brokenteepee.com/).
- 2 cups Pereg Natural Gluten-Free Teff Flour
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup apricot jam
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a large bowl, mix together the crust ingredients until fully blended. Dough will be crumbly. Press into a 10-inch tart pan. Lightly prick the bottom with a fork (don’t go through to the bottom). Bake in the preheated oven for 10–12 minutes. Let cool.
- After the shell has cooled, heat the coconut milk and vanilla in a small saucepan to boiling. Remove from heat and add the chips. Stir until completely smooth.
- Spread jam evenly on the tart bottom. Pour the chocolate mixture over top. Refrigerate for at least two hours.
Chocolate Gluten-Free Banana Flour Cake
This satisfying dessert can be made pareve or dairy. Courtesy of Broken Teepee (https://brokenteepee.com/).
- 1½ cups Pereg Gluten-Free Banana Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cocoa
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup milk (or dairy substitute)
- ½ cup strong coffee
- ¾ cup melted coconut oil, preferably organic
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8½- × 4½- × 2-inch loaf pan. In a medium bowl, whisk together the banana flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cocoa, and sugar. Stir in the chips if using.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk or dairy substitute, coffee, vanilla, and coconut oil in a large bowl. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes. The cake is done when a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove cake from pan to cool completely.
Pumpkin Spice Latte
Grab some “me time” with this treat, courtesy of Pereg Natural Foods.
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- ½ teaspoon Pereg Pumpkin Pie Mixed Spice
- ½ cup brewed coffee
- ½ cup milk
- Add all of the ingredients in a saucepan. Stir and bring to a simmer. Pour mixture into your favorite mug. Decorate with freshly whipped cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon.
About Pereg Natural Foods
Pereg was established in 1906, and is based in Clifton, NJ. It first became known for its vast variety of pure and natural spices and spice blends, more than 60 in all, from traditional favorites to exotics from around the culinary world.
Today Pereg produces an array of all-natural products that includes ancient grains and ancient grain blends, gluten-free pasta, couscous, rice, gluten-free cereal, and much more. Pereg Natural Foods products are available at select retailers throughout the U.S. and Canada, and at pereg-gourmet.com.
Pereg manufactures all its products from start to finish, controlling the quality from the sourcing until the product is packed and ready for the consumer. All Pereg products are kosher certified by both the Orthodox Union (OU) and CRC, are dairy and lactose-free as well as all natural, with no additives or preservatives. Many products are also certified gluten-free and non-GMO. Follow Pereg Natural Foods on Facebook at Facebook.com/peregnatural, Twitter @pereggourmet, and Instagram @peregnatural.