Not too many years ago we were singing the praises of pumpkin spice latte and pumpkin spice everything else. Next thing we knew, pumpkin pie spice took over the world.
Well, you may be over the ubiquitous pumpkin pie coffees and desserts (which, admittedly, are delicious), but don’t dismiss pumpkin pie spice altogether. This harbinger of autumn is available only seasonally—and now’s your chance to think outside the sweet box.
Pereg is all about using pumpkin pie spice blend in new ways this year. According to Gill Schneider, president of Pereg Natural Foods, “Pumpkin Pie Spice is much more versatile than many people realize. It has a slightly sweet, slightly savory character that adds a layer of warmth and depth to savory dishes of all kinds.”
Cultures around the world traditionally use components of pumpkin pie spice in salty or spicy cuisine. Pereg’s intriguing blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger, and cloves marries beautifully with many of the savory ingredients you’d use in appetizers, entrees, sides, and more.
Start with this easy marinade for meat and chicken and see why pumpkin pie spice still wins.
Easy Savory Pumpkin Pie Spice Marinade
This robust combination works especially well with skirt steak, short ribs, London broil, chicken, and even turkey. Keep clean-up simple with a zip-close bag—no dishes to wash!
- ½ cup good quality olive oil
- 2–3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons Pereg Natural Foods Pumpkin Pie Spice blend
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or ½ tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ tablespoon lime juice
- Salt to taste
- Red chili pepper flakes to taste
- Put all the ingredients in a zip-top food storage bag. Seal the bag and massage the ingredients to blend.
- Add the meat or poultry to the bag, squeeze out excess air, seal, and store in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Drain the liquid and broil, grill, or bake as usual. Do not re-use the marinade.
More new ways to use Pumpkin Pie Spice:
- Sprinkle on nuts or pumpkin seeds before roasting
- Season kabocha squash oven fries
- Blend with hummus
- Combine with browned butter and sage as a pasta topper (hello, pumpkin ravioli!)
- Give roasted chickpeas a new personality
- Top sweet potatoes with pumpkin pie spice and caramelized onions
- Think Moroccan: add to couscous or squash soup
- Try sweet-spicy pumpkin seed brittle
- Use as a dry rub for meats
- Mix with jerk seasoning for chicken
- Elevate hearty chilies and stews
- Spice up your popcorn
- Add a pinch to your martini!
Pereg’s Pumpkin Pie Spice blend is crafted from 100 percent pure, fresh ingredients with no additives, preservatives, coloring, or MSG, and is OU and CRC certified kosher. MSRP: $5.50/3.2 oz.
Pereg Natural Foods products are available at select retailers throughout the U.S. and Canada, and on their website, Pereg-gourmet.com. Follow Pereg Natural Foods on Facebook at Facebook.com/pereggourmet, Twitter @pereggourmet, and Instagram @peregnatural