By Phyllis J. Lubin

It’s Monday afternoon, the last Monday prior to Labor Day, and I am sitting poolside at the Sunny Atlantic Beach Club. So much has transpired this summer and yet the season has come to a conclusion in the blink of an eye.
We all know it happens. It’s not a surprise anymore. But it’s sad just the same.
I begin every summer with my big plans. This season was no different: the movies I will see; the books I will read; the home improvements I will accomplish; and the 20 pounds I will lose.
Now the summer is concluding and, sadly, my plans have mostly gone by the wayside: I saw no movies; I read a total of one book; I managed to oversee our driveway redo–and it’s not even finished at this point; and I somehow, between swimming and all-too-occasional walks on the boardwalk, managed to lose about two pounds this summer!
Where did the time go? Yussie enjoyed a lovely summer at Camp Mesorah, Lea enjoyed her month at Camp Kaylie, and all my readers heard about Rivka’s marvelous sojourn in Israel.
I enjoyed my time at the Avnet Country Day waterfront along with my eldest daughter and daughter Rochel on the swim staff, and daughter Lea finishing out the season at Avnet upon her return from Kaylie.
The summer would not be complete without my time soaking up the sun at Sunny Atlantic. . . .
“Your grilled cheese is ready, Mom!”
This year we invested in a $12 grilled-cheese maker–it has made our visits to the beach club very tasty–and, using two slices of diet bread, healthy too!
It’s a small crew at the beach today; while both my youngest and eldest daughters are basking in the sun with me, it’s actually the first day of classes for Rochel and Rivka, and Yussie is enjoying Bais Ezra’s end-of-summer program at Camp Kaylie.
We left for Albany to move Rochel into school on the last day of Avnet Country Day. And so as we finished Avnet’s summer season, we helped Rochel begin her sophomore year at SUNY Albany. Unfortunately, because of the rush hour time of day, the typical three-hour trek turned into five hours. Fortunately, we had reservations to stay over at the nearby Best Western, because, to quote my husband and chauffeur, Leib Mordechai, “doing that trip in one day would be painful!”
No sooner did we rest up over Shabbos than we were back on move-in duty with Rivka early Sunday morning. Our journey began with a super-early Starbucks run, followed by a brief sojourn at 8:00 to retrieve the refrigerator from our cabana at Sunny Atlantic. Our days remaining at the beach club would, sadly, be sans refrigerator, but Rivka needed it more than we did.
The Stern College move-in was much quicker than Albany (one hour ride away versus five hours), and while Rivka picked up her room keys, we began unpacking the van at her dorm building on 36th Street.
Our trip to the city was topped off with a bagel brunch.
– – –
“I’m bored,” Lea just announced as we lounged on the beach.
“Why don’t you get cups and make a castle, Lea?” my eldest daughter recommended.
Somehow we didn’t bring pails and shovels to the beach this year, and so we needed to improvise. Since we are in a poolside cabana this summer, I can count on my fingers how many times we actually sat on the beach. I am so happy we decided to take a break from the pool–this is indeed both calming and refreshing!
At press time, Yosef Binyamin will be returning from his week at Camp Kaylie–he already called home with a long laundry list of things he wants us to make for Shabbos; I’d better leave the beach already and begin shopping! v
Phyllis Joy Lubin is an attorney with Maidenbaum & Sternberg, LLP, who resides in Cedarhurst with her husband, Leonard. They have six children–Naftali, Shoshana, Rivka, Rochel, Yosef, and Lea–and a daughter-in-law, Nina. The author welcomes your questions and comments at


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here