Your yom tov cooking is about to get a whole lot more inspired. The Fleishigs magazine yom tov issue is out! Let’s see what’s inside:
Busy in Brooklyn stops by to shows us how to stuff stuff: Drunken Liver Mousse-Stuffed Figs, Simanim Potstickers, Marzipan-Stuffed Baked Apples.
How to Holiday Feast Fast with Heshy Jay of Scoop & Co. Transforming ordinary ingredients into gourmet. Tartare and bone marrow boats anyone?
Tablescaping with expert party planner Reena Goldberger and yes, her recipes too. Apples figs rosemary, oh my!
Yom tov menu by Chef Isaac Bernstein. First course, entree, dessert — Gochujang Maple Acorn Squash. Say that 10x fast.
Susie Fishbein: Origins written by cookbook author Adeena Sussman + her favorite yom tov recipes. Will the veal slim cut please stand up?
Veal breast gets the spotlight in this month’s Butcher’s Cut. Meat and dough are the new meat and potatoes.
A play-by-play on how to make meat-stuffed challah by @mandyliciouschallah.
Do you know your olive oils? Let Celeste Heckle give you the breakdown along with some beautiful recipes highlighting evoo.
Behind the allure of Omakase — The “I leave it up to you” dish. Have you heard about this new trend?
There are highs beyond the Merlots. Inside Israel’s Vitkin Winery.
Balancing Jewish activism, fighting antisemitism, mommyhood, and fashion blogging. We go one-on-one with Elizabeth Savetsky.
Pick up a copy in your local supermarket or subscribe at fleishigs.com.
Apple Honey Cake
By Shifra Klein
I love this recipe because it is super easy to prepare. All you need is a bowl and a mixing spoon. Almost anyone can make this cake, guaranteed. It is a great recipe for kids, or anyone who is intimidated by baking.
- Nonstick cooking spray, such as PAM
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee dissolved in 1 teaspoon boiling hot water
- 1¾ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup cubed or shredded apples (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 10-inch loaf pan or 9-x13-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oil, juice, eggs, honey, vanilla, and coffee.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda and spices.
- Combine the baking soda and spices with the flour and then stir the flour into the batter until thoroughly mixed.
- Fold in the apples.
- Pour batter into pan. Bake for 40 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.