NEW YORK, NY - FEBRUARY 23: A general view of the exterior of Columbia University Medical Center at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital on February 23, 2012 in New York City. (Photo by Ben Hider/Getty Images)

An attorney who lives in New Rochelle in Westchester County and works in midtown Manhattan is New York state’s second confirmed coronavirus case — and the first apparent instance of community spread, officials reported Tuesday.

SAR Academy in the Bronx’s Riverdale section said Tuesday it would be closed due to the threat of coronavirus, saying “there is a suspected case of coronavirus in our community,” according to a school email signed by its principal. Two other Jewish schools, Westchester Day School and the Westchester Torah Academy, also closed Tuesday.

The New Rochelle man has four children. One attends SAR Academy and another attends college in New York City and lives on campus, Latimer said. The other two are in Israel.

The man’s wife and two children are under quarantine in their New Rochelle home, where they’re being monitored for any potential symptoms, according to Latimer. The student at SAR Academy was not exhibiting any coronavirus symptoms as of Tuesday, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said.

The New Rochelle man is hospitalized in serious condition at New York-Presbyterian/Columbia in Washington Heights. Yeshiva World News reported his name for tehillim as אליעזר יצחק בן שפרה (Eliezer Yitzchok ben Shifra).

Gov. Andrew Cuomo said an initial review of the 50-year-old man’s travels revealed he traveled to Miami and Israel during the past few months, but possibly not during the two week incubation period. Authorities are treating it as a case of person-to-person spread. The man reportedly had respiratory issues for the last month, became they more pronounced in the last couple of days.

A statement from Mayor De Blasio reads: “Yesterday, a New York State resident with respiratory issues was diagnosed with the Coronavirus at a New York City hospital. The patient remains hospitalized and is in serious condition. … The test was conducted by the New York City Public Health Laboratory on our first day of testing. With the results confirmed within a number of hours, we were immediately able to take next steps to stop the spread of this virus. We have said from the beginning that it is likely we will see more positive cases of the Coronavirus. We are working closely with our State and Federal partners to ensure we are taking the highest precautions to keep New Yorkers safe.”

The NYC Health Department said Tuesday that five additional COVID-19 cases are still under investigation.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here